Explore, hike, visit, breath, feel, connect. YOUR summer in Israel!
Experience everything you have heard and learned about Israel!
A comprehensive program in Israel for qualified Young Judaeans.
On Machon, you’ll visit all of the major sites and off-the-beaten-path points of historic, spiritual and archaeological significance. This next stage of your Young Judaea career will immerse you in the rich culture of Israel as you explore the ins and outs of the land of Israel, Israeli society and culture, and gain a deeper understanding of the life of an Israeli.
During the days of Machon, you will discover Israel through exciting activities and sites. You will travel with your bus group all day and will get to meet up with the other Machon groups for occasional activities, evening events, as well as occasionally staying together at the same accommodations. Some activities include all the Machon groups such as Shabbat Machon and Maccabia. There are no sister buses that travel together for the summer.
The Machon program includes special programming:
- Numerous opportunities for interaction with Jewish youth from the Federation of Zionist Youth, Young Judaea’s sister movement in Great Britain.
- Meeting Israeli peers from the Tzofim, Young Judaea’s sister movement in Israel. Some of the YJ Machon groups will be invited to the Tzofim homes and experience a real life ( and food…) in Israel
- Informal educational seminars at Young Judaea’s very own Kibbutz Ketura. Gain a deeper understanding of the life of a kibbutznik at the kibbutz founded by Young Judaeans.
- During the summer you will volunteer in some of the places where Year Course participants volunteer such as working with the Sudanese community, new immigrants etc .
- Tour Sderot, the famous Israeli town near the Gaza strip
- Interact with YJ role models “Giborenu” and learning from his/her experience.
- Emphasizes learning Hebrew including having a “word of the day“
- Developing peer leadership is one of the Machon goals during the summer. One of the opportunities for that goal is planning Shabbat Machon. Va’ad Machon, a committee of participants will be planning Shabbat Machon.
- During Shabbat Machon, Friday morning will be dedicated to volunteering in a project the Va’ad will decide upon. During Friday evening and Saturday the Va’ad will plan all the activities themselves.
- Machon project – all Machon groups will spend one morning volunteering with children in Hadassah hospital and set up a mini carnival for them. After volunteering they will have a tour of the hospital connecting them as Young Judaea participants to Hadassah’s important role in Israel.
In addition, all of the exciting components of every Young Judaea Summer Israel Program:
- Tiyulim (hikes) We will take you on plenty of tiyulim in beautiful nature reserves and throughout the different landscapes of Israel including the rolling hills of the Golan Heights, the awe-inspiring views of the Negev Desert, the Galilee, the coastal plain and the Jerusalem corridor. You’ll explore caves, walk through rivers and waterfalls, cook a delicious Middle Eastern dinner by the campfire, appreciate the beautiful nature under the stars, and enjoy the natural wonders of Israel!
- Seminars Your tsevet (staff) and a number of guest educators will prepare evening workshops on topics including special seminars on the Peace Process, Israeli politics, Israel-Diaspora relations, Israeli society, and much more.
- Fun Activities Here are only a few examples of the fun we’re going to have: water parks, rappelling, swimming in the Mediterranean Sea, Dead Sea and Red Sea (Eilat), rafting on the Jordan river, parties, camel rides, and more! Take part in Maccabiah at the beginning of August! Snorkeling in Eilat!
- Israeli Culture Almost every day participants will have an activity involving modern Israeli culture. We’ll listen to modern Israeli music, meet with Israeli kids, visit army bases, learn some hip slang, and learn to ask the bus driver to turn up the radio!
Special Interest Week!
Tailor your summer itinerary to meet your interests by choosing from among our different options. Meet new people and make new friends with teens from all the Young Judaea Israel Summer Programs who have chosen your interest week option.
Eligibility: Teens entering grades 11 or 12 and who have completed at least one session at a Young Judaea Camp.
Dates: July 7 – August 8 2013 | View Sample YJ Machon Itinerary
Cost: $6900 | Program cost includes round-trip airfare New York-Tel Aviv-New York, all accommodations, three kosher meals a day, medical care (not related to pre-existing conditions), field trips, and seminars.
Every effort will be made to keep the tuition and prices for Israel Summer Programs as quoted. Since tuition and prices are based on current land and airfares, they are subject to change at any time in Young Judaea’s sole and absolute discretion. Young Judaea reserves the right to cancel Israel Summer Programs or any program option, or change any itinerary due to low enrollment, security, or other reasons as determined in its sole and absolute discretion.